Bob Baynes
Joyce (Grinde) Arnholtz
Dorothy (Dietelback) Chabra

Sharon Lynn (Ericson) Henderson
Murray George
Hank Funk & Phyliss (Hay) Funk

Hans Gust
Anne (Goin) Clarke
Harold Hayter
Evelyn (Karlo) (1963) and Eric Heilman (1961)

Myrna (Isrealson) Decaire
Doreen Strand Klone
Marie (Wagner) Freshette
Brian Turner

Add Your  Bio
Update Contact Info

2017 Reunion Candids
2017 Class Photos
2022 Reunion

when it took five minutes
for the TV to warm up &
Ed Sullivan.

Explore Other Years





Bob Baynes

I moved to Edmonton and worked for Northwestern Utilities for a while and then started an apprenticeship with Alberta Government Telephones.  I took an early retirement, after 25 yrs. in 1987, as Sales/Service Manager for Special Products (Olds-North). I then started my own electronic systems business and after 10 yrs. had the opportunity to join the the brokerage business and worked 10 yrs. as Investment Advisor for National Bank Financial(5yrs) and then moved to TD Private Investment Advice (5yrs). I retired from this position (at 65) in 2008.

I married Maureen McCormick in 1966, and we have been happily married for 51 yrs. We have 2 married sons (both University Educated), and have 2 granddaughters and 1 grandson.
We lived in Devon for 32 yrs. and then moved to our lakefront acreage on Lake Isle. We lived there for 12 yrs. and then decided to downsize and bought a house in Spruce Grove.
We have enjoyed traveling over the years and have taken a couple of cruises, and enjoy Europe most of all, with Ireland (4 times) and Germany (2 times). We are planning a Baltic cruise next year and have recently bought a new SUV and holiday trailer and will be leaving middle of Aug. on a trip across Canada and northern USA for 6-8 weeks.



Joyce (Grinde) Arnholtz

Along with my husband of 55 years, we’ve lived on the same farm west of Millet, where we ran a small dairy and school bus operation. Although the land is now rented out I still have a big yard to keep up. Active in community, church, volunteering, gardening, and sewing. Have 2 daughters and two grandsons. Lucky to have travelled some. Life has been good!


Dorothy (Dietelback) Chabra (1961)

- Came to Wetaskiwin in 1955
- Attended Queen Elizabeth in Grade 8 and 9
- STARTED WCHS the year it opened (brand new)
- Left WCHS in 1959 to start my apprenticeship in hairdressing for 6 months
- Went to Marvelle Hairdressing School in Edmonton and received my first license in September 1960
- I never graduated because of family circumstances, got my university degree at the school of hard knocks
- After I got my license I came back to Wetaskiwin Joan's beauty salon for 4 years.
- Moved to Edmonton and taught at the Marvelle hairdressing school for 6 years.
- Got married, had 2 children
- Moved to Red Deer and then bought a salon.
- 1973 moved to Kelowna BC.  My time in Kelowna I was director of royalty (pageant prep) for Kelowna and Miss Interior, which was the direct affiliate to Miss Canada.
- Taught Cosmetology at Okanogan school of Hairdressing
- Also managed a salon in Kelowna
- 1985 moved to Abbotsford BC as now a single parent
- My daughters are married and I have 4 grandchildren
- I am retired from a salon, but I am still working, my clients got old, just like me, so now I go to them in their home or senior complex that they are living in.


Sharon Lynne (Ericson) Henderson

After graduating from high school in 1961, I studied Education at the University of Alberta for two years.  Putting my teacher training to the test, I taught fourth graders at Belvedere School in Edmonton, for a year.  Then I married Brock Robertson and moved to GÅ‘ttingen, Germany, where I studied German as an extension student at Georg-August-Universität and we explored Europe on a shoestring budget.

By the time we returned to Canada in 1966 and settled in Calgary, I switched into an Arts program, majoring in English.  I graduated (BA, majoring in English) from the University of Calgary in 1969, but had already embarked on another career – motherhood.  Aside from the year that we lived in Norwich, England (1977-78), I spent much of the next fifteen years chauffeuring our four children (Susan, Steven, Karen, and Heather) and volunteering – teaching preschool water orientation and swimming at the Y, editing the Triwood Community newsmagazine, and acting as research assistant to Doris Govier and her Canadian literature classes in Calgary communities.  In the latter capacity, I met, interviewed, and profiled more than a hundred writers, honing skills that would later take me into facilitating group discussions, instructing, writing, and editing.

After my marriage broke up, some of my volunteer work was replaced by paid employment.  I have always liked the school environment, but sought “a life” beyond the tremendous responsibilities of a teaching career.  Thus, I decided to seek employment as a school assistant rather than as a teacher.  In 1985, the Calgary Catholic Board of Education hired me as an instructional assistant in the English department at St. Francis High School, a position that later expanded to include social studies and other areas.  There, I taught myself computer skills, helped teachers with theirs, developed teaching materials, and tutored students for twenty years.  In 2005, I moved to the new Notre Dame High School to work with ESL and Special Education students and teachers.  I continued to enjoy my job until retiring in 2008.

I managed to maintain my involvement in the Canadian fiction study group until scheduling conflicts forced me to give it up, temporarily, in 2002.  After retiring, I soon returned to leading the group.  I had begun editing and ghostwriting in 1998 – several articles, a few theses, and three books.  Then I moved on to writing my own stories and memoirs, a project that is now almost complete.

In 1997, I married Randy Henderson.  The two of us had founded a hiking group in 1995: Hikers Unanimous has thirty or so core members of all ages and from various ethnic groups.  On summer Saturdays, the group heads for the foothills or mountains for day hikes.  Over the years, HU’s activities have expanded to include cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and annual hostel weekends.  Health issues have limited my own active involvement in recent years, but we still get together with members for potlucks, trips to the theatre or symphony, birthday parties, etc.

We are also fairly active in the Unitarian Church of Calgary.

We both enjoy connecting with friends and relatives, which include five granddaughters.  Visiting Canadian regions and learning about their geologic, geographic, and human histories are also priorities during our retirement years.

"Sadly Sharon passed away in 2018."


Hank & Phyliss (Hay
) Funk  (Class of 1961 & 1964)

Hank left WCHS in 1960 and joined the Navy for a three year stint. We were married in 1966 and lived in the Edmonton area for the next eight years where we were blessed with two children (Julie 45 years old and Mat who is 43).  Hank apprenticed as a plumber/gas fitter during that time. In 1974 we made the move to Ft. McMurray which we called home for the next 33 years. Hank worked in the oilfield industry and I managed and worked as a financial planner with Investors Group. In 2007 we retired and relocated to Sherwood Park where we currently live. We have one five year old grandson who is the light of our life. A big thanks to all the reunion committees that have worked so hard to host this event.


Murray George

I graduated from WHS in 1961.  However it took another semester of half day classes in 1962 to get enough credits to finish my diploma (was spending too much time hanging around with my buddy since grade one, Hans Gust).  After graduating I went to Barber School in Edmonton.  I worked in Edmonton for a few months then for a year and a half in Westlock.  Haircuts were one dollar and I got .75 cents.  On a whim, at a suggestion from a fellow classmate, Ted Alberta, I joined the RCMP.  After a rigorous 9 months of Training in Regina, I graduated as second highest in improvement in our class of 32 men, (which only means I was in pretty bad shape when I joined).   Our Troop (only men were hired at the time) was one of the last to have equitation training.  Too bad they didn’t continue with the horses as there is a saying in the stables,  “The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man”

After training I was posted to the Lower Mainland, Richmond, Vancouver, Maple Ridge, and Vancouver again.  I started out in uniform on the road for two years then in plainclothes investigating more serious crimes and finished my career as Staff Sgt in Administration.
I met my wife Jackie in Richmond and married in 1969.  We have two sons, Ryan, married with two children, a boy and a girl living in Ladner, B.C. and Darcy married also with two children, a girl and a boy, living in Calgary, Alta.  (Four great grandchildren). 
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend the 2017 Reunion and from all accounts from Hans Gust and Marg Remin it was a blast.  Wetaskiwin High School has many fond memories for me and I am glad I was able to be there.


Anne (Goin) Clarke

 I graduated from Royal Alex School of Nursing in 1964. Married Paul Clarke in 1965. We lived in Edmonton and I worked at the Royal Alex Hospital from 1964 to 1974. I worked for the Wetaskiwin Health Unit as a home care nurse for 30 years. A very challenging and rewarding career.

 My leisure activities were league curling, bonspieling, crafting, machine quilting, and loom weaving. We have enjoyed acreage living in Millet and spending winters in Arizona and Mexico.

We have two children and three grandchildren.


Hans Gust

After graduating from high school l worked full time for the Tom Boy store in Wetaskiwin and married Shirley Gust. We had four children, two boys and then twin girls. We moved to the coast and first l worked in the grocery business, and then worked in the restaurant industry. We were married fourteen years and then divorced. After the divorce l worked as a brick layer-for about two years and then became involved in sales, first in the life insurance industry and then became qualified as a real estate sales person.

I was single for five years, and then I met my second wife Ute and we have been married for almost 39 years. We have two children, another daughter and a son. l am still employed as a realtor, and am currently working with my second son, John, who is also a realtor. A few years ago Ute and l bought a larger property in Ladner, a suburb of Vancouver, and l am able to indulge in my passion for gardening. l have 16 raised beds, 18 fruit trees, four bee hives, 8 chickens and a rooster. l have four grandchildren from my older children, and just became a grandfather from our youngest son.

Two years ago l bought into a hunting lodge near Cache Creek, about a five hour drive from home and l have spent many great weekends there with my sons and grandson. l also enjoy traveling, gardening and spending time with family. l am still working as a realtor pretty much full time, because l love the work, but am considering slowing down in the near future.


Evelyn (Karlo) (1963) and Eric Heilman (1961)

We were married on May 28, 1965 and lived in Wetaskiwin.  We built a new house on the farm at Falun, AB and moved in January 1970.  We still live there operating a small feedlot with our son Trent.

Our daughter Raeleen was born in 1969 and our son Trent in 1972.  Both kids were very involved in sports.  Trent in hockey and fastball and Raeleen in all school sports and fastball.   Eric and I were both curling and bonspieling.  This was our life and entertainment for many years.  It was pretty hectic  trying to get everyone where they were suppose to be and still keep everything running on the farm.

With friends in the chuckwagon circuit, we enjoy going to the races and Ponoka Stampede has been a must holiday every year.  We also go camping with friends and family as often as we can in the summer.  In the winter we have enjoyed nice warm weather vacations with Hawaii still the favorite.

One of Eric’s favorite things to do is take his horse to the mountains and ride the back country.  He has had some interesting adventures and has seen some amazing country.  Another highlight is to be able to go riding with our four granddaughters.

We are very fortunate to have our family close and it is very special to see our granddaughters grow up.  Right now we are full time grandpa and grandma and that keeps us very busy.


Myrna  (Israelson) Decaire

In the spring of 1961, I moved with my parents, brothers & sisters to a farm West of Didsbury. I spent the first year in Didsbury working for the Royal Bank and getting to know a new set of friends & families.  I then moved to Calgary and worked for an oil company & later a dentist clinic.  My husband, Bert, & I spent 30 years in Calgary raising our son, Ed, and daughter, Bonnie. In 1991 Bert & I moved back to Didsbury. We live on an acreage surrounded by family: our daughter and husband, brother, Ernie & Larry, two nephews and their families. We love our family colony.

Since retirement we have been spending our winters in Mazatlan. I look forward to seeing friends from so many years ago.


Harold Hayter

Attended U of A Education 62-65, completed B Ed 1970. Taught at St Albert High (2 yrs), Peace River High (1 yr). Married Carol McClarty 1968. In 1970 moved into post-secondary education at Keyano College, Fort McMurray (2 yrs ), then to Portege College Lac La Biche (13 yrs ), and finally NAIT  (13 yrs). Completed an M Ed in Post-Secondary Education in 1981. Retired in 1999, moved to Kelowna in 2001 and then Calgary  in 2016.

We have 4 sons and 9 grandchildren. Our summers evolve around our grandchildren and visiting with family and friends. Our winters since 2005 are spent in Yuma Arizona golfing, dancing, swimming, cards/games and socializing with relatives and friends who have followed us to Yuma and new friends we have met in our “ Disneyland for Seniors" as one son described it.


Doreen (Strand) Klone

When l left school, l worked for my Dad in his service station until l met and married my husband Norman Klone.  We were married 56 years in July 2017.  He worked in the oil patch. We had four children, Ginger and her husband Jesse live in Wetaskiwin, Roger deceased, Darlene and her husband Tony live in Grande Prairie, Robert and his wife Joanne live in Leduc. We have 12 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. l worked for l0 years, 1986-1996 in Wetaskiwin Woolworth/Woolco/Walmart. I'm a crafter so I love crafts of all kinds and did a lot of them, the biggest was working with wood.   Over the years we have lived in Valleyview, Whitecourt, Tunis Tunisia, North Africa (two years 1982-83). We moved to Wetaskiwin after selling our small farm, due to health reasons.  We travelled to Scotland, London, England, Rome, Italy, Northwest Territories, Dominican, Mexico, Texas, North Carolina and Arizona. We also traveled a lot with our motorhome.  I've had a busy and interesting life.


Brian Turner

I attended the Wetaskiwin & District High School from 1959-1960, after leaving the QEII Elementary & Junior High School system, which I attended from grade 6 onward.  Whilst attending WCHS, I distinctly remember taking an appitude test, either in grade 10 or 11, in which the results showed that my career path was going to be in the marine industry, or the electrical industry. What a fortune teller that turned out to be. I should have graduated in 1961 from WCHS, but I ventured out to Victoria, BC and attended Mount View High School, which unfortunately, I never completed grade 12. I had a medical kidney removal, which interfered with the school year. I then attempted to enlist in the RCN, but was rejected, as the RCN declared that I wouldn't be able to serve at sea, with just one kidney. I joined the RCN(R) instead.

I returned to Wetaskiwin and was employed by numerous oil well drilling contractors, all over the province.  An industrial accident cut the employment short and I entered into the Alberta Electrical Apprenticeship program in 1965, with the IBEW Local 424 & Canadian Comstock, at the NAIT Tower expansion. I completed the Apprenticeship in 1969, graduating from NAIT as First Class Journeyman Electrician, interspersed with working on the oil rigs, to earn enough money to pay off my student loans.  I married as a broke, under paid, first year apprentice, which was a real challenge back in 1965. My son John arrived in 1967. I divorced in 1971 and remarried in 1972, at which time I adopted three more children, Dan, Sean & Shannon. Rob was welcomed into the family in 1974. In 1991, my wife at that time, decided she was tired of being married to a part time father/partner, so she filed for divorce. I moved and have resided in Calgary NE, ever since, but I have no particular allegiance to any of their sports teams.

I worked through Local 424 of the IBEW (aka I Believe Every Word, or I've Been Every Where) in various capacities until 1974, at which time I was offered the opportunity to to travel & work in the Norwegian Offshore Industry, for the Moran International Drilling company, in the Ekofisk field of North Sea.

I completed my contract in late 1975 and proceeded to go to work for Peter Bawden International Drilling, this time in the Scottish sector of the North Sea, on the infamous Piper Alpha Platform, from 1976- 1978. I completed this contract and returned to Spruce Grove, Alberta, working through the IBEW, at the various power plants located on the shores of Lake Wabanum & playing hockey for the Spruce Grove Oldtimer hockey club. 

In 1979, Dome Petroleum, through their wholly owned subsidiary Canadian Marine Drilling, offered me a one year contract on their Arctic Drillships. The one year contract with Canmar, stretched into 18 years, with Dome / Amoco / British Petroleum being the owners.

I formally retired from Canmar in 1995, after serving as a ships electrician, Chief Electrician & electrical surveyor in the Canadian Arctic, the US Arctic & West Coast Alaska, Singapore, Australia, Thailand & Cambodia.

The day after I retire form Canmar, I found myself on an aircraft, bound for Lake Maricaibo, Venezuela, for Noble Drilling International Services, who had bought out Peter Bawden International Drilling.

I finished with Noble and went back to Thailand for Rob Ray Drilling, followed by stints in Saudi Arabia, with The Arabian Drilling Company. Following this I toiled for Reading & Bates/ Falcon/ Transocean Drilling in Australia, South Africa, Angola, the Belgium Congo. This was followed by a venture with Atwood Oceanics, back in offshore Australia and then off to Bergen Norway, to refit & sail a Finnish built, Russian owned drillship, which went on charter to PetroBras in Brazil. This vessel was particularly challenging, as all of the ships drawings and manuals were printed in Russian & Finnish.

PetroDrill offered me a position in Okpo, Korea, as a ships electrical inspector surveyor, on a pair of semi submersible new builds, which I accepted. These vessels, upon completion, sailed to Brazil, to drill in the Campos basin offshore Brazil.

PetroDrill had then picked up another contract to build two more semi submersibles, in Portland Maine & I went there as one of their electrical inspector / surveyors, until the vessels were completed. This ended my offshore excursions, in which I had served on offshore drilling platforms, jackup drilling units, drilling tenders, drill ships, semi submersibles & bottom founded drilling units. In 2004 a head hunting company, contracted by Syncrude, called and offered me a position as electrical inspector on the Mildred Lake site, on a one year contract. Having never having the pleasure?? of being to Ft. McMisery, I accepted. This position lasted a bit longer than the one year that they had offered and in 2014 I retired as their QA/QC surveyor for all major projects, as Exxon was purging the site of all contractors, due to the down turn in the oil industry.

After leaving high school, a period of what is know as learning, took place, which has really never ended. As I reflect back, high school was really a wonderful time, although we never thought it was at the time. I've spent a total of 53 years in the electrical field, of which 32 years were spent in the offshore oil well drilling industry. I've had a pretty good look at the old ball, which we call earth and in this time I've spent an awfully long time on chunks of junk that happen to drill holes in the ground.  I've toiled in the oil, for the better part of my working life. 

Presently, I'm doing as little as possible and enjoying occasional interactions with my eight grand kids, family and friends that I've made along the journey.


Marie (Wagner) Frechette

After graduating I attended the Royal Alex School of Nursing receiving my RN. Travelled to Hawaii where I worked in a Japanese hospital in Honolulu.  Returned to Edmonton where I married Gordon Frechette. We made our home in Edmonton where we raised our two sons.  Later I worked with mentally challenged children for the Edmonton Public School Board.  We have four grandkids which we thoroughly enjoy. Retirement is great. We enjoy our winters in Yuma Arizona and summers living in a condo on Beaumaris Lake in Edmonton.  Just celebrated our 50th Anniversary.

Next 1962



Wetaskiwin Composite High School 2017 & 2020 Reunion © 2018 All Rights Reserved